Whether you’re looking to improve your overall health or simply you want to lose a few pounds and slim down for summer, burning off unwanted body fat and build lean body mass can be quite a difficult goal to achieve.
We have rounded up some of the best workouts to lose fat that will help you boost your metabolism, build muscle, and shed extra pounds way faster than your typical gym workout.
Of course, this alone won’t cut it.
In addition to diet and exercise, numerous other factors can influence fat loss. But by practicing some healthy eating habits and adding the following workouts to lose belly fat, you will get in shape in no time.
Our goal is to show you the best and practical way on how to lose body fat and gain muscle, so you can finally flaunt a well-toned body.
Here are 20 of the best workouts to lose fat and gain muscle quickly.
How To Lose Weight and Build Muscle?
There are so many questions when it comes to getting fit and working out.
Is working out 30 minutes a day enough to lose weight? What exercise burns the most belly fat? Can I lose fat and gain muscle at the same time?
And apparently, you can’t just work out and expect overnight results, you have to eat right, too.
Nutrition is very important when it comes to seeing the results of the hard work you’re putting in.
And according to US News & World Report, this is the time when most people fail on their New Year’s resolutions.
Simply because they often tend to exercise more while ignoring their diet plan.
It’s going to be OK. Below, we have listed the best workouts to lose fat and gain muscle for your specific goals.
Want to burn fat? We got you. Want to tone your muscle? No problem.
Best Workouts To Lose Weight and Gain Muscle
First, here are some very basic things you should know before you get started on a new exercise regimen for weight loss.
Including the healthy habits that you need to follow to quicken the weight loss process.
The Way You Fuel Your Body
YES, you guessed it right! Healthy eating habits are extremely important if your goal is to see long-lasting changes in your body shape.
There are plenty of good options available to help you make the right food choices decisions and help you burn fat naturally.
Here are some healthy habits for weight loss we strongly recommend you to follow for better results:
Follow a High-Protein Diet
Including more protein-rich foods in your diet is an effective way to reduce your appetite which results in weight loss.
Eating more protein may be associated with a lower risk of belly fat.
Also, increasing your protein intake can lower calorie intake and preserve lean muscle mass.
Try incorporating a few servings of high-protein foods (such as Eggs, Almonds, Oats, Greek Yogurt, Chicken Breast) into your diet each day to help you burn belly fat.
Eat More Healthy Fats
Yeah, it may seem counterintuitive but increasing your intake of healthy fats may help prevent weight gain and help you maintain feelings of fullness.
Fat takes a while to digest and can help slow the emptying of the stomach, which can reduce appetite and hunger.
However, keep in mind that healthy fat is still high in calories, so moderate how much you consume.
Instead of eating more fat overall, try to opt for some healthy fat for weight loss (such as Avocados, Cheese, Nuts, Chia Seeds, Dark Chocolate).
Avoid Drinking Your Calories
Swapping out sugar-sweetened drinks for some healthier selections is one of the easiest ways to increase fat burning.
The benefits are even greater when you replace sugary beverages with water.
Water can be your friend when it comes to promoting healthy weight loss.
Water is 100% calorie-free, helps you burn more calories and may even suppress your appetite if consumed before meals.
Push Yourself To The Limit
Exercise should become part of your routine in a meaningful way.
You’ve probably heard the old saying, “showing up is half the battle.” To a degree, it’s true, but when you’re working to get in shape, there is more to it than just showing up and going through the motions.
With every exercise you do, you can choose to give it moderate effort or everything you’ve got.
You may be getting in a workout, but if you’re not pushing yourself, you’ll never see the desired results you want.
Get Enough Sleep
Getting enough sleep may be associated with decreased appetite and hunger, as well as a lower risk of weight gain.
Although everyone needs a different amount of sleep, most studies have found that getting at least seven to eight hours of sleep per night is associated with the most benefits when it comes to losing fat and building muscle.
The more sleep-deprived you are, the higher your levels of the stress hormone cortisol, which increases your appetite.
Stick to a regular sleep schedule, limit your intake of caffeine to help support a healthy sleep cycle and promote weight loss.
Healthy Habits For Weight Loss
Incorporating some of these healthy habits into your daily lifestyle and switching up your diet can make a big difference.
Even minor changes to your lifestyle can have powerful effects on fat burning.
Be sure to pair these simple tips with the exercises listed below to simultaneously boost fat breakdown and tone your muscles.
Now that we’ve set the basics a little bit let’s get to the fat loss workout routines.
These belly fat workout exercise s tend to have a couple of elements in common: They’re generally high-intensity and they burn a lot of calories in a short amount of time.
That being said here are the types of fat burning exercises trainers recommend to get the most out of your gym (park, or living room) time.
Best Exercises To Lose Weight Fast
Aside from dieting, exercising is one of the best strategies to shed extra pounds and burn calories, and this plays a key role in weight loss.
In addition to helping you lose weight, exercise has been linked to many other benefits, including improved mood, stronger bones, and a reduced risk of many chronic diseases.
So, here are 20 Best exercises to lose weight.
Home Workout For Weight Loss
Let’s face it;
Finding the time to exercise is often a lot harder than your actual workout, isn’t it?
Between work, family and friends, personal hobbies and other social commitments, many people struggle to fit fitness into their daily routine.
Home weight loss exercises solve this problem by giving you an effective workout routine that can be done anywhere, anytime, with little to no setup.
Below, we have compiled 5 Best home exercises for weight loss that will help you shed the extra pounds quickly.
Burpees are a great exercise that will help you tone up your entire body as it works your lower body, upper body, and your core.
How To Do Burpees?
- Start standing straight up with your feet shoulder-width apart.
- As you begin, you will go straight into a squat position by pushing your hips back and bending your knees.
- From the squat position, you will push your feet back, leading you to land in a plank position.
- From here, you will jump back to a squat position and jump explosively in the air.
- When you come down, land back into a squat position and repeat the process.
Burpees can be difficult at first, but they do a great job burning those calories!
Step-ups are a great bodyweight exercise that emphasizes the lower body part.
How To Do Step Ups?
- To perform a step up, you will need to find a box that you can step upon.
- If you don’t have one, then consider using the steps on your front porch.
- You will start in a standing position and as you begin you will lift your left leg onto the box.
- Push yourself up with the leg that is still on the ground.
- After you explode up, you will come back down and reset before repeating the process with your right leg.
Step-ups are rather easy at first but can grow to be incredibly difficult the longer you do them. However, there is arguably no better lower body fat exercises for quick explosion then step-ups.
Although many think of mountain climbers as a lower body workout, they do a great job of targeting every single muscle group in your body.
How To Do Mountain Climbers?
- To perform a mountain climber, you will start in a plank position.
- You will then pull one knee up towards your midsection.
- As your knee extends back towards the ground, prepare to bring the other knee up towards your midsection.
- Repeat this process until failure.
Mountain climbers are exhausting but are not hard to perform. They are a great workout to lose fat for beginners and can be used as an effective home exercise to build muscle.
Lunge jumps are a fantastic way to improve both your lower body strength and your cardio endurance.
How To Do Lunge Jumps?
- You perform a lunge jump similar to how you would perform a regular lunge but with a slight variation at the end.
- You start the same way as if you were to do a normal lunge, but at the point of returning to a standing position, you are going to explode straight up into the air, jumping as high as you can.
Lunge jumps are like lunges on steroids. If you are new to bodyweight workouts, we would suggest you starting with a basic lunge and working your way up to lunge jumps.
The last home weight loss exercise on the list is a more cardio-based bodyweight exercise, that will increase your metabolism and help you burn a lot of calories.
How To Do Stair Climbs?
- To perform a stair climb, you will first need a series of stairs.
- If you live in a two-story house or an apartment that has a set of stairs, then the problem is solved.
- If not, then you will need to find a football stadium or a steep hill for this activity.
- You will do exactly what the name of the exercise indicates – climb stairs.
- Be sure to start slow, but as you get comfortable, increase your pace for the best results.
Stair climbs are probably the most demanding workout to lose fat on this list, but the most rewarding when it comes to enhancing endurance.
So, if you don’t mind a challenge, try adding stair climbs to your bodyweight workout routine.
Gym Workout For Weight Loss
Let’s get real;
Sure, you can cut your calories in half, or spend your morning or evenings doing cardio to shed some pounds, but keep in mind that both will not last nor will they give you a healthy-looking and fit body.
When it comes to weight lifting for weight loss, it is important to put a few key points out there.
- First, you will not get BIG from lifting weights. You get “Big” from overconsumption of energy.
- Second, you can lift more than you think (And you should).
- And finally, be sure to stretch, drink plenty of water and incorporate the right foods to help your body recover quickly between workouts.
Here are 5 Best gym workouts to lose fat and gain muscle.
The kettlebell swing is a powerful, full-body exercise that builds strength and helps improve power and posture.
How To Do Kettlebell Swing?
- Begin standing with your feet shoulder-width apart, knees slightly bent and toes pointed out.
- Hold a kettlebell with both hands so it hangs between your legs.
- Hinging at the hips, lower your body into a squat position.
- Extend your hips to come to standing while swinging the kettlebell in front of you.
- Squeeze your glutes at the top of the move.
- From there, let the weight swing back down as you come back into the squat.
- Repeat the motion until fatigued.
Box jumps are great for burning fat because they work many muscles at once, helping with balance and toning your muscles. All you need is a plyometric box or a raised surface you can jump on.
How To Do Box jumps?
- To begin this move, lower yourself into a partial squat.
- Then, push off the ground as you swing your arms forward to jump on top of the box.
- Landing with your knees slightly bent.
- Hop down and immediately repeat 10 to 20 times to complete one set.
Dumbbell Jacks Shoulder Press
Get your heart rate pumping while working your arms, shoulders, and legs with this gym workout to lose fat.
How To Do Dumbbell Jacks Shoulder Press?
- Stand with your feet together as you hold the dumbbells just in front of your shoulders, palms facing each other.
- Perform an overhead press.
- As soon as your hands return to your shoulders, hop your feet out as you would for a jumping jack while you open your elbows out to the side and extend your arms overhead, palms facing forward.
- Hop back to the starting position to complete one rep.
A variation of the powerful exercise deadlift. It strengthen the majority of your body muscles, including the calves, hamstrings, quads, adductors, glutes, erectors, abs, lats, traps, rhomboids, and forearms.
How To Do Deficit Deadlift?
- Stand on a plate or a box.
- With the barbell positioned near the shins, sit back and bend over at the hips.
- Keep a neutral spinal position.
- Grasp the barbell and lift the weight by extending your knees and hips simultaneously.
- Don’t lose the arch in the low back and squeeze the glutes to lock out the lift.
- Lower the weight in reverse; keeping a stable core.
This move, featured by Women’s Health, works your core and arms at the same time.
How To Do Golf Swing Exercise?
- You’ll begin standing with your legs slightly wider than hip-width apart as you hold a medicine ball just to the right of your right hip.
- Then, pivot on your right foot to twist your torso to the left while swinging the medicine ball up above your left shoulder until your arms are fully extended.
- Return to the starting position and repeat eight times to complete one set.
Best Exercises To Build Muscle
For anyone looking to pack on some serious muscle mass, one of the top priorities will be to determine what the best workout routine to follow.
There is a wide range of different exercises available, so choosing the one that will suit your needs best is important.
It’s also essential that you understand which factors contribute the most to gaining lean muscle mass. A program that utilizes the principles will often perform better than one that doesn’t.
Let’s take a brief look at some of the best exercises to build muscle.
How To Build Muscle at Home?
One of the most common questions among teens and adults is how to build muscle at home fast without equipements?
They always want to hear the only thing about how they build muscles fast at home without going to the gym or lifting weights?
Below, you find the best exercises to build muscle fast at home that you can easily perform without owning any set of dumbbells, elliptical machine or a treadmill to grow your muscle.
So, get up and start by moving now!
Here are 5 Basic bodyweight exercises to build muscle at home without equipment that will help you get going or getting you back in shape.
Probably the most popular bodyweight exercise. Push-Ups are a great way to improve your upper body strength and tone your muscles.
How To Do Push-Ups?
- Start in a plank position with your hands around shoulder level.
- Slowly lower your body until your chest is just barely off the ground.
- Push yourself back up into plank position.
- Repeat this process as much as you possibly can.
Push-ups are the most popular bodyweight exercise for a reason; They work and almost everyone can do at least one. So you have no excuse not to do some pushups today.
Dips are slightly similar in concept to Push-Ups as they target similar muscle groups, but are different in practice.
How To Do Dips?
- To perform a dip, you need to find a place that has two stable bars on each side of you.
- Once you find a good place, you will grab the dip bars, jump up and straighten your arms out.
- You will then lower your body until your shoulders are below your elbows, and then push yourself back up.
While dips can be slightly easier than the following muscle building exercise, they still can be challenging if your upper body strength is not quite developed, so be patient if you struggle at first.
One of the best workouts to build muscles at home. Pull-Ups are a great way to tone up your upper body without needing any weights.
You may need to get creative in finding a place to do them, but they will help you burn some calories.
How To Do Pull-ups?
- To perform a pull-up, you will need to find something that you can pull upon.
- This can be a door opening at your house, a front porch roof or playground equipment if you live close to a park.
- After finding a place to do Pull-Ups, you will start with your hands just above shoulder-width apart above your head, and then pull until your chin is above the bar.
- If you struggle to get your chin above the bar, think about pushing your elbows down as your chin approaches the bar.
While this exercise may not be for everyone, it is a great workout to lose fat and gain muscle for those who have the strength to perform it and a great way to measure your progress for those who aren’t quite there yet.
Although lunges are much more challenging when you are holding weights, they are still a great lower body exercise to tone your legs and reduce thighs fat.
How To Do Lunges?
- To perform a lunge, you will start standing straight up in an athletic stance.
- From there, you will lunge your left foot forward and squat down, keeping your right knee from touching the ground.
- After this, explode back up into a standing position, and then put your right foot forward and repeat the process.
While lunges are easy in concept, they can become challenging after you do them for a while, so we would say that the degree of difficulty is hard. However, they are a fantastic way to tone up lower body muscles.
Similar to lunges, squats are another way to work your lower body with only your bodyweight, but they also serve as a back strengthening exercise as well. So, it’s a great home exercise for muscle building.
How To Do Squats?
- To perform a squat, you will in the same way as you would if you were performing a lunge, stand straight up in an athletic stance.
- From this point, you will bend your knees and squat, lowering your lower body until your legs are at a 90-degree angle.
- After this, explode up back into a standing position.
- Repeat the process as many times as you can.
Squats are an easy exercise, but they can become challenging after doing them for a while. They work well in helping you tone up your lower body muscles and burn calories.
Best Gym Exercises To Build Muscle
While everyone who goes to the gym to lift weights has their own set of specific goals, one common thread that runs through most is the desire to get bigger and stronger.
That being said, here are our 5 Best gym exercises to build muscle.
Main Muscles Worked: Pectorals/Anterior Deltoids/Triceps.
How To Do Bench Press?
- Lie on the bench with your eyes under the bar.
- Grab the bar with a medium grip-width (thumbs around the bar!).
- Unrack the bar by straightening your arms.
- Lower the bar to your mid-chest.
- Press the bar back up until your arms are straight.
For maximum stimulation of the chest, position your torso on the bench with a slight arch in the lower back.
Bent Over Barbell Row
Main Muscles Worked: Lats/Rhomboids/Mid-Traps/Rear Delts/Lower Back/Biceps/Brachialis/Forearms.
How To Do Bent Over BB Row?
- Stand with your mid-foot under the bar (medium stance).
- Bend over and grab the bar (palms down, medium-grip).
- Unlock your knees while keeping your hips high.
- Lift your chest and straighten your back.
- Pull the bar against your lower chest.
Use a wide/overhand grip to work the muscles of the upper back most strongly, and a closer/underhand grip to target the lats.
Main Muscles Worked: Lower Back/Quads/Hips/Glutes/Hams/Upper Traps/Forearms.
How To Do Deadlift?
- Stand with your mid-foot under the barbell.
- Bend over and grab the bar with a shoulder-width grip.
- Bend your knees until your shins touch the bar.
- Lift your chest and straighten your lower back.
- Take a big breath, hold it, and stand up with the weight.
Incorporating deadlifts one or two days a week into a weight training session will develop strength in the hamstrings, glutes, low back, and upper back.
Main Muscles Worked: Lats/Rhomboids/Mid-Traps/Rear Delts/Biceps/Brachialis/Forearms.
How To Do Pull-Ups?
- Grab the pullup bar with your palms down (shoulder-width grip).
- Hang to the pullup-bar with straight arms and your legs off the floor.
- Pull yourself up by pulling your elbows down to the floor.
- Go all the way up until your chin passes the be bar.
- Lower yourself until your arms are straight.
Also considering as a home exercise to build muscle, to make things harder try adding some weights and vary grip widths when pulling to effectively stimulate all areas of the back musculature.
Main Muscles Worked: Quads/Hams/Hips/Glutes/Lower Back.
How To Do Squat?
- Stand with the bar on your upper back, and your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Squat down by pushing your knees to the side while moving hips back.
- Break parallel by Squatting down until your hips are lower than your knees.
- Squat back up while keeping your knees out and chest up.
- Stand with your hips and knees locked at the top.
One of the best gym workouts to lose fat and build muscle. Make sure that every rep is controlled and reaches a depth where the thighs are parallel to the floor, or even a few inches below.
Hey, But I Just Want ABS!
Believe it or not, we all have abs, Abs are determined on the percentage of body fat a person has.
If you are unable to see your abs, it’s not because you can’t get them, it’s because they are hidden behind layers of fat.
OK, wonderful! So, my abs are just hidden underneath a few months’ worth of donuts…
What’s the next step?
To see your abs, it means you have to reduce your body fat, which can be done by incorporating the above workouts to lose fat and build muscle.
And, for you to obtain the 6 Pack abs you are looking for or even to semi have them appear, you will need to combine a healthy diet, cardio, weights, resistance training, and a calorie deficit.
Final thoughts – Best Workouts To Lose Fat and Build Muscle
Regardless of all the hard work you put in at the gym or the time you spend doing home workouts to lose fat, nothing will work unless your nutrition is on point.
It doesn’t matter how much you work out, if you aren’t eating a balanced healthy diet, you will never get the results you desire.
You have to put in as much effort (if not more) into your diet as you do in your workout routines.
Implementing these 20 Best workouts to lose fat and gain muscle along with a balanced diet and good nutrition is key to shed pounds, stay in shape and help you improve your overall health.
Let us know in the comment below if you agree that 80% of successful fitness journeys come from nutrition, and the other 20% is the effort put into the gym.